As a fellow at the Reynolds Journalism Institute this year, I am working on a list of promising sites. The idea is to identify and work with the best – to learn from them and to figure out ways RJI might help them.
Here are my criteria:
- Content: The site is devoted primarily to original news. It may include aggregation and opinion.
- Practices: The content demonstrates a desire and an effort to practice accuracy, transparency and fair play.
- Engagement: The site demonstrates a desire and an effort to promote civic engagement or an ethic of participation.
- Frequency: The news report is updated at least three times a week.
- Sustainability: Site owners are making a serious effort to develop a revenue model.
(Thank you to Jay Rosen for helping me to refine these criteria.)