At RJI, we’ve been working to improve how we share information with our readers.

Subscribe

C.E. PalmerClyde Eber Palmer, 1876–1957

Bettie M. Palmer, 1889–1974

C.E. and Bettie M. Palmer owned newspapers, radio stations and a television outlet covering southwestern Arkansas and part of northeastern Texas during the early to middle part of the 20th century. Their media properties included the Texarkana Gazette, the El Dorado News and Times, the Hot Springs Sentinel Record and New Era, the Camden News, the Hope Star, the Magnolia Banner-News and KCMC-TV (Texarkana).

 Palmer Newspapers, based in Texarkana, pioneered technological innovations over the decades, including microwave facsimile transmissions, offset lithography printing, spot-color news photography and high-speed telegraph service. In the midst of World War II, with a shortage of skilled newspaper employees, the company developed the first automatic teletypesetter circuits, connecting six newspapers to pool news items without having to hire additional staff.

As philanthropists, the Palmers influenced the education of a generation of American school children. In 1956, the American Book Co., with $200,000 in underwriting from the Palmer Foundation, published a set of morals-based readers called the Golden Rule Series. Subtitled the Modern McGuffey Readers, the stories were built around eleven moral themes: cooperation, courage, fairness, friendliness, honesty, kindness, patriotism, perseverance, responsibility, reverence and unselfishness.



Share

Related Stories

comments powered by Disqus
MU | Missouri School of Journalism | University of Missouri